Friday, March 11, 2011

possessions



In watching the coverage of the impending tsunami on the Oregon coast later this morning, I pondered momentarily on what I would grab from the house if I had a few hours to pack the car....thank God the husband is fanatical about keeping gas in the tank.

That's a hard one.  I would actually have to decide what was really important to me. 

This small house is filled with "stuff".  I am the "editor" in the relationship...oh, I've brought my share of things into our life over the 30 plus years of domestic bliss, but the husband has kept harvesting over the years, while I have really slowed down.  I mean, how much "stuff" can you have?

I always edit it down to what is important or treasured as "irreplaceable".  Sometimes that can include something as simple as a smooth stone that someone has painted tiny vines and flowers in gold to an exquisite (but tiny) ivory crucifix from 19th century India.  The objects that inhabit our lives are for the most part from travels and trips here and there.  Beautiful memories of beautiful places.

Others are more utilitarian...like my collection of old, used carpenters' rulers, folding or not.  To our eyes,  the more weathered the piece the greater the treasure.  My favorite objects show the repeated use of its former owner.  Was he a designer too?  A carpenter, an artist, a seamstress?

But time and fortunes change, and you see your collections become less important than they once did.
I would always hope that a good friend could look at something I've stumbled on and treasure and to hear them state "Oh, that is so Rolfe". 

Guess I'd get the dogs in the car and let the husband decide on the rest!  I'm sure if it's important to him, it's important to me.

...and I will be spared the decision.

R.

1 comment:

  1. You have some cool shit. man! I hope you have plenty of time to pack before the big wave makes it to Portland. You could always leave yout husband behind...

    ReplyDelete